The publishing industry can be overwhelming for most writers – even the more established ones. But having a good understanding of the business is vital if you want to have a successful writing career. How do emerging writers navigate the publishing industry? Is it better to have an agent? To self-publish? Is using social media and developing a website really important?
This workshop is designed for emerging writers and covers all aspects of the publishing industry. Topics discussed include:
- The current state of the Canadian publishing industry
- How publishing works
- Why good editing is so important
- Do you need an agent to get published?
- Does size matter? Big publishers vs. small publishers
- The role of a book publicist
- The do’s and don’ts of self-promotion
- Tips for finding your readers
At the end of this workshop, participants will have a solid understanding of the publishing business from both an author’s perspective and publisher’s perspective. You’ll gain confidence, learn how to make smart decisions and better your chances of success.
What past participants have said:
“Thanks so much to you both for your insights!”
“They know their stuff.”
“Thanks for such an educational and entertaining workshop.”